Storms and Flooding in Howard County
With the constant thunderstorms and flood warnings expected to continue through the weekend, residents of Howard County may feel like they’re caught in the 1,000 year rain storm. As many Columbia, North Laurel, and Ellicott City homeowners know, this wet weather can lead to heavy rainfall, intense thunderstorms with lightning, gusty winds, flash flooding, and power blackouts.
Power outages are inconvenient for homeowners, leaving more questions than answers — how long will the darkness last, did you remember to plug the television into a surge protector, or will the food I just bought spoil in the refrigerator? If you expect your home to lose power in these storms, take the following precautions to protect your family and home during the outage:
- Have a flashlight nearby and make sure you have plenty of extra batteries. Don’t try keeping your home illuminated with candles as these can be a potential fire hazard.
- Keep an emergency kit stocked with plenty of food and non-perishable food items, first aid, and medications.
- Turn off and disconnect electronics and appliances from power outlets. If the power surges, these items could be damaged.
- Avoid opening your refrigerator to keep the contents cold and prevent spoiling. If you expect the power outage to last longer than two hours, purchase coolers and extra ice to keep perishable items like meat and dairy cold.
Once power has been restored, restock battery and food items to your emergency kit and throw out any food that may have spoiled.
Throughout the weekend, these thunderstorms and power outages may be scary, but this excessive rainfall also poses additional risks like flooding.
Securing Your Home Against Flash Flooding
Due to the name, you never can accurately predict when and where flash flooding will occur. However, if you expect long-lasting showers with heavy precipitation, you should protect your home against flooding that can damage utilities like boilers and furnaces, ruin your home’s structure, and even cause mold growth. To properly prepare your home and protect it against flooding, following these simple maintenance tips:
- Check that your sump pump is operating efficiently and have back up generators installed. Sump pumps are responsible for removing excess water in basements and if it stops working, flooding is sure to happen in your home.
- Keep gutters well maintained and clear of debris and leaf buildup that could prevent water from properly draining.
- Check the sealant around doors and windows and repair as needed to prevent moisture penetration.
- Close all air vents from both the inside and outside access points with plastic sheeting.
- Unplug all electronics and appliances to avoid unwanted damages or accidental electrocution.
Call 911 Restoration of Howard County For Water Damage Remediation Services
To ensure your water damages have been properly cleaned and remediated, contact the certified professionals at 911 Restoration of Howard County. All of our technicians are IICRC certified and understand the best tools and techniques to properly remove water damage and prevent mold growth. We provide emergency 24-hour services and free inspections. To learn more about our water damage restoration services, call us at 443-769-1110 today to speak to a specialist.